I-526 Lowcountry Corridor EAST
- One of South Carolina’s most congested interstate corridors
- From Virginia Avenue to U.S. 17 in Mount Pleasant
- Includes bridges over Cooper and Wando Rivers
- Aims to improve mobility and safety for commuters, freight and other travelers
About The Project
SCDOT is conducting a Planning & Environmental Linkages (PEL) Study for I-526 LCC EAST, which extends from Virginia Avenue in North Charleston to approximately US 17 in Mount Pleasant. The PEL study will identify existing and projected transportation issues within the corridor through public and stakeholder engagement.
The results of the study will help establish a vision for the corridor that will guide future transportation decision-making. This resulting information of the PEL study will be carried into the next phase of project development which is the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process. After the needs are better understood in this corridor, and potential improvements identified, the next steps, including potential phasing and project opportunities, may be developed.
- An ONLINE ONLY public information meeting for the I-526 Lowcountry Corridor EAST project was presented to the public in summer 2020.
- Traffic Analysis – Underway
- Survey Data Collection – Underway
- Environmental Studies – Underway
- Bridge and Roadway Feasibility Analysis – Underway